Saturday, April 16, 2011

What is the meaning of 2 Corinthians 12:16 that the Christians were caught by Apostle Paul's guile?

 
An art depicting Apostle Saint Paul

This is the probably the most favorite Bible verse of anti Apostle Paul Muslims to prove that the Apostle Paul is a deceiver:

2 Corinthians 12:16 But be it so, I did not burden you: nevertheless, being crafty, I caught you with guile.

Readers of this blog must know the reason why it was said. 

In verses 13-21 of the 2nd letter of Paul to the Corinthians Chapter 12, Paul was being doubted by the Corinthian Christians that he is just after on their money as his own source of income.

That is why Apostle Paul said this:

2 Corinthians 12:14 Behold, the third time I am ready to come to you; and I will not be burdensome to you: for I seek not yours, but you: for the children ought not to lay up for the parents, but the parents for the children.

2 Corinthians 12:15 And I will very gladly spend and be spent for you; though the more abundantly I love you, the less I be loved.

Have you noticed the verse 15 that is bolded? this is the proof that Apostle Paul is not really after the money of the Corinthian Christians but instead he will be like a parent to them who will spend for them.


In fact, Apostle Paul unlike most preachers today whose source of their living came from their members' contributions do some labor mentioned in Acts 18:3 as a tentmaker.

This is the greatest proof that Apostle Paul will never be a burden to the Christians by getting their money as his own source of income because he also works for his own to sustain himself.

Now I should answer the meaning of the verse being used by the Muslims against the beloved Apostle Paul to prove that he is a deceiver of how we Christians was caught by Apostle Paul's guile? (notice carefully the words I bolded and underlined in the verses)


1 Corinthians 9:18 What is my reward then? Verily that, when I preach the gospel, I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I abuse not my power in the gospel. 

1 Corinthians 9:19 For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.

1 Corinthians 9:20 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law; 
1 Corinthians 9:21 To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law. 
1 Corinthians 9:22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. 
1 Corinthians 9:23 And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment